One Million Naira For Jesus




For my first 3 years in the University of Porr Harcourt, I only went to church the Sundays before exam and after my exams.

Why? It's self explanatory.

I had zero interest in anything Church/God because I just left an Anglican Missionary Boarding School where I prayed at least 5 times a day.

In my mind, all the prayers I prayed will cover me plus I was an upcoming bad girl, at least I tried to be.

When I gave my life to Christ at the end of Year 3, first semester, if you told me that I would collect the life back, I would tell you a big fat Never!!

I was in love with Jesus, with DC, with the community, with the clarity and everything that came with Jesus. I had peace and I could give him anything and everything.

I went for my first ever Camp Meeting and during this service day, it was time to raise funds for the gospel.

If you have ever been to any fundraising service, you know how that thing can be.

The testimonies!!!!

Brother John was broke and owing 5Million.
He gave God his car and 2 days later, he got a contract of 100Million.

Sister Blessing has been childless for 10 years.

She gave her last card and 3 days later she conceived.
Hallelujah!!!

The atmosphere was packed.

Me, it was my first time.

I was an Anglican, the fundraising wasn't that intense in the Anglican Communion so this was new to me.

My spirit was stirred up.

Ah. God!!

So I will be rich, just like that.

"God, I will give you One Million Naira"

For context, I was a 19 year old student who was collecting 20k monthly from her father.

The 20k sef no dey come in full.

That day I had faith for 1 Million.

The Pastor started

"Now, we want to call on those who want to give God 1 Million Naira. Even if you don't have it now, as long as you are willing, God will bring it to you"

That's all I needed to hear.

My heart was beating really fast and I summoned courage to step out.

I stood Up.

I was walking down from the gallery to the altar.

My Pastor saw me and gave me this bombastic side eye that said, you better go back to your seat this girl but did I hear, No.

I was on a mission.

Nobody can stop me, not even P. Chuks.

I went down, I pledged the 1 million and came back up confident that God is about to change my life.

As I came back to my seat, The people sitting close to me were telling me well done and Congratulations. I felt validated.

Looking back now, those people were mocking me.

We came back to school. my Pastor called me and said "Joy, where do you want you want to get 1 million from?" As he was talking, he was laughing.

With all seriousness, I gave this man my ATM Card.

My GTCrea8 card.

I told him to hold on to it. 

I said I will keep saving to fund the account. 
My giving him the card was so that I will not be tempted to use the money.

Guess what, that card expired in his hand.

Did I put money in the account, yes.

Did I go to the bank to withdraw over the counter, Yes.

Have I paid the 1 million, No!

Do I think I still owe God 1 Million Naira, No.

Why? To err is human and to forgive is divine.

Did I lie?


One year later, I went back for Camp Meeting.

Sitting on my seat in the choir, I see Prosper, my fellow student in need, walking outside to pledge One Million Naira.

I started laughing. I saw myself in that guy.

Did he paid that money till we graduated and left Uniport? 

You know the answer.


P.S:
I dedicate this story to Pauline who has made it her lifes mission to laugh at me and remind me that I have not paid the N1M.

She still laughed last month, April 2023.
Unprovoked.


Have you ever promised God a huge amount of money? Tell me about it.

Note:
In the future, as I grow, if I can give that amount to God, I will do it.

It will pain me o but na smallz. My money is safe with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crush That Mattered

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐁𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐈'𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫